Brownells, A 2nd Adventure Group Company
At Brownells, we Empower the Spirit of Independence and Adventure. Our passion is connecting gunsmiths, firearm enthusiasts, collectors, hunters, competitors, and protectors with products that outfit and enhance their spirit of independence and adventure.
Brownells is the preeminent all-things-firearms company in the world. Founded in 1939 in Montezuma, IA, Brownells’ storied history of connecting firearm and firearm accessory manufacturers with freedom-loving customers is unrivaled.
We believe the spirit of independence and adventure is a mindset – in the office, on the range, in the field or with your family. It is the foundation – and reason – for everything we do.
- R.I.C.H. (Respect, Integrity, Courage, Honesty)
- Power of the Platform (collectively leveraging our unique brands)
- Purpose Driven Performance
- Relentless Creativity & Innovation
By joining Brownells, you will help us inspire, educate, and outfit adventure-minded, freedom-lovers across the world with products that outfit their passion.
Why Adventure With Us
Put simply, our adventure is fun! If working in a fast-paced, hobby-based business where growth and exploring new frontiers every day excites you, then WE WANT YOU!
Our team is diverse, inclusive, and obsessed with new ideas. We put our customers and employees and their families at the forefront. As a third-generation, family-owned business, we understand the need for a great benefits package, professional develop opportunities, adventure incentives and most importantly, flexibility in schedules to allow for the most time possible with your loved ones.
Your Adventure Will Include
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and under the purview of the Board of Directors, the Vice President of Finance will have full responsibility for developing and leading the financial functions of the business. S/he will be supported by a Controller (who, in turn, directs an Assistant Controller, a Payroll Supervisor and a Sr. Accountant).
As a member of the senior management team, this executive will be a strategic partner to the CEO in aggressively building a growing, profitable and sustainable business. Working closely with the CEO and the Board, the Vice President of Finance will provide financial projections and prepare growth and operational plans (to include forecasts of required capital investment) while staying abreast of economic conditions, identifying business opportunities (including synergies of acquisitions) and monitoring, analyzing and reporting financial performance. Owns all banking relationships including experience with capital financing.
The successful candidate will lead the charge to reduce costs and maximize return on investment. S/he will institute a disciplined and process-oriented approach to financial and operational management, taking the lead in communicating its value and importance throughout the organization and in holding all management accountable on a monthly basis.
Under the purview of the Board of Directors, the Vice President will establish all financial policies, practices and controls for the corporation, including: financial planning, budgeting and forecasts, tax, cost accounting, cash and working capital management, capital expenditures, key performance indicators and variance analysis, distribution of profits as well as all required internal and external financial reporting.
To direct and oversee all financial activities of the corporation, including preparation of current financial reports as well as summaries and forecasts for future business growth and general economic outlook. Also responsible for the Finance department and shall perform as a key player in the strategic management of the business. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, budgeting, strategic financial planning, legal, property management, deal analysis and negotiations, investor relationships, financial partnership compliance and institutional financing.
What You Will Do
- Directs the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies
- Oversees and directs treasury, budgeting, audit tax, accounting, purchasing, real estate, long-range forecasting, and insurance activities for the organization
- Directs and coordinates the establishment of budget programs
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and issues periodic reports on organization’s financial stability, liquidity, and growth
- Reviews reports to analyze projections of sales and profits against actual figures, budgeted expenses against final totals, and suggests methods of improving the planning process as appropriate
- Analyzes company operations to pinpoint opportunities and areas that need to be reorganized, downsized, or eliminated
- Strategic planning involvement. Confers with CEO and other business leaders to coordinate and prioritize planning
- Studies long-range economic trends and projects company prospects for future growth in overall sales and market share, opportunities for acquisitions or expansion into new business areas. Estimates requirements for capital, land, buildings, and an increase in the work force
- Provides leadership role in re-engineering various accounting processes
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal reporting requirements
- Coordinates financial audits
- Sets overall financial strategy and metric objectives for the following areas: Treasury, Budgeting, Tax (Corporate & Personal), Legal & Estate Planning, Accounting & Financial Reporting, Information Systems, Real Estate, Life Insurance, Risk Management, Mergers & Acquisitions, Wealth Management, Family Office, Credit & Financing Relationships
- Works with department managers for financial guidance/management
- Fiduciary and signatory responsibilities for corporate benefit plans
- Represents the company externally to government agencies and auditors
- Recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates department staff
- Establishes, manages and develops bank and other financial institution relationships
- Assists in providing information to company ownership as it relates to company performance and governance
- Other family office-related duties
What You Will Need
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree Business, Accounting or Finance required; CPA preferred
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration preferred
- Fifteen plus years of progressive financial leadership experience
- Eight plus years of Executive-level experience
- Merger and acquisition finance experience preferred
- Five plus years of Strategic Planning experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Subject matter expert in multiple fields within functional area
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information
- Comfortable in an environment where multiple stakeholders (with potentially conflicting agendas) must be served and influenced. Related experience could have been gained in a highly matrixed corporate structure or in a multi-business units corporation
- Politically astute with the kind of interpersonal skills that ensure open communication and transparency of motives among multiple constituencies. Coupled with unquestionable integrity and business ethics, these attributes will lend a high degree of credibility to this executive in all quarters
- Broad perspective on business, yet one who is highly analytical, and data-driven in his/her problem-solving and influencing style
Strategic thinking. A visionary strategist who knows what the organization needs to be doing tomorrow, evidenced by having visions of possibilities and creating breakthrough plans to achieve them
Cost-conscious. Business decisions are analyzed considering cost and benefits and by being fully immersed in the decision process, knowing how business works
Team player. Puts aside his/her personal goals and works well with others, doing what he/she needs to do to strive for a common goal. Identifies roles, jobs, tasks, rewards and objectives within a group and defines success in terms of the whole team, evidenced by building strong teams
Develop talent. Is a people builder, evidenced by actively providing challenging and stretching tasks and assignments
Where You’ll Be Located
Live Your Adventure!
Brownells is a subsidiary of 2nd Adventure Group. At 2nd Adventure Group, our mission is to provide a platform to connect people with their passions. Our brands are aligned to empower people to be inspired, educated, and outfitted for a lifetime of enjoying and sharing the spirit of adventure. Our sister companies include: Crow Shooting Supply, Sinclair International, AR15.com, W.L. Baumler Co. and Big Springs Range Complex.
Interested in this position? Apply now and mention that Gunjobs.com sent you.