Posted 1 month ago
Columbia, South Carolina
FN America, LLC is a U.S. subsidiary of FN Herstal, S.A., a global leader in the development and manufacturing of high-quality, reliable firearms for military, law enforcement and commercial customers worldwide. Headquartered in McLean, Virginia with manufacturing operations in Columbia, South Carolina, FN America is passionately committed to providing its customers with a portfolio of FN-branded products, training and support services that enhance user performance and safeguard their lives. For more information, visit us at or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Operations Buyer is responsible for the acquisition of materials and services required to assure on-time deliveries to support demand planning and inventory management by optimizing inventory to meet production/forecasting and scheduling efficiencies. The Operations Buyer collaborates with material planning, manufacturing, master scheduling, commodity management, logistics, quality, and finance personnel in the completion of duties. In addition, the Operations Buyer will create, prepare, distribute, monitor and follow-up on all purchasing actions for open orders, purchase order returns and non-conforming materials.
- Reviews and executes production requirements and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) action messages daily, reviewing purchase requisitions for accuracy and efficiency.
- Creates purchase orders, supplier schedules and maintains delivery schedules and purchase order changes daily.
- Monitors component inventories to optimize inventory turns.
- Reviews Bills of Materials for accuracy and drives systematic changes when required.
- Obtains RMAs for non-conforming materials and issues purchase order returns for dispositioned product.
- Resolves supplier invoice discrepancies for pricing and volume inaccuracies.
- Oversees new product rollouts ensuring all new components are setup with the required item master parameters for effective ERP functionality.
- Determines economic order quantities and ensures packaging meets requirements.
- Maintains files, records and documents related to all purchasing activities per company policies.
- Utilizes World Class/Lean Manufacturing techniques to drive operational results and performance measures.
- Completes administrative duties as assigned; open order report management, supplier on-time delivery reporting, performance objectives, shipping and receiving documentation, etc.
- Completes assigned engineering change notices and manages drawing revision implementation on the purchase orders.
- Submits Request for Quotes (RFQ) to supplier and potential suppliers to support requirements
- Expedites purchased components as required.
- Complies with all US Government Federal Acquisition Regulation (USG FAR) and Defense FAR (DFAR) sub-contractor procurement requirements in support of USG Prime Contracts.
- Ensures compliance with purchasing agreements, policies, and procedures.
- *Other duties as assigned by management.
Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in a technical, economic, financial, or business discipline preferred.
One year of applicable experience is required. Four years of applicable experience may be substituted for the degree. One year of experience in a manufacturing environment as a Buyer is preferred
Skills and Competencies
All FN America employees are expected to demonstrate accountability, collaboration, communication, customer focus, and innovation. Additional skills required include:
- Excellent oral and written skills with the ability to build relationships and work effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple independent projects as assigned.
- Daily management of the entire procure to pay process.
- Comprehensive knowledge of purchasing and understanding of lead-time impact to production and supply chain requirements.
- Excellent project management skills with demonstrated ability to drive actions to closure.
- Broad understanding of US Government contract requirements (i.e. FAR, DFAR) as well as Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and import/export compliance policies.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams to successfully launch new products.
- Experience working in ERP and Supplier Portal systems
- Applied knowledge of the Science and Technology of Manufacturing Processes
- Excellent Planning, Organization, Interpersonal, and Leadership skills.
- Ability to understand product drawings.
- Ability to analyze cost performance data to improve operations and reduce costs.
Intermediate Microsoft Office Suite experience, ERP systems working knowledge and Material Requirements Planning (MRP) experience required. Demand planning experience is desired.
APICS or CPSM Certifications Preferred
Typical office environment with some travel between buildings and to other locations required (10%). May be exposed to loud noises, toxic chemicals, and dangerous machinery when on the plant floor. Incumbent may be required to lift and move up to 25 lbs.
All FN America employees have a responsibility to participate in the development of a safe and healthy workplace and to comply with instructions given for their own safety and health and that of others.
Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status
FN America, LLC is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with physical and mental disabilities.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation while seeking employment, please email HR@FNAmerica.com or call: 803-736-0522. We will make a determination on your request for reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Share this job