Manufacturing Controls Engineer, Electro-Optics
SIG SAUER, Inc. is a leading provider and manufacturer of firearms, electro-optics, ammunition, airguns, suppressors, and training. For over 250 years SIG SAUER, Inc. has evolved, and thrived, by blending American ingenuity, German engineering, and Swiss precision. Today, SIG SAUER is synonymous with industry-leading quality and innovation which has made it the brand of choice amongst the U.S. Military, the global defense community, law enforcement, competitive shooters, hunters, and responsible citizens. Additionally, SIG SAUER is the premier provider of elite firearms instruction and tactical training at the SIG SAUER Academy. Headquartered in Newington, New Hampshire, SIG SAUER’s workforce is located across eight locations in the United States. The tremendous growth of SIG SAUER has fueled outstanding opportunities for experienced professionals to join our team.
The Manufacturing Controls Engineer integrates custom control solutions for automated manufacturing processes. This position plans/specs/designs automation equipment/processes and assembly tooling. Develops and maintains PLC & programs controls. Ensures compliance with industry safety and design standards and guidelines. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of engineering projects.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manufacturing control development with PLC, HMI & tooling for automated cell integration
- Automation program development
- Working within an engineering team on automation projects including concept work, equipment specification, factory acceptance testing, installation, and commissioning/debug.
- Programming in C, C++, Python, Visual Basic, MatLab, standard product SDK/API integration, etc.
- Program, control, automate vision systems for integrated quality control and process step verification.
- Responsible for identifying and leading automated equipment projects to increase production capacity and improve product quality.
- Assemble, fabricate and program integrated in-house designed manufacturing cells.
- Identify potential process improvement projects, design and develop programs to address findings.
- Develop/review/maintain/update related documentation, files, procedures, databases, drawings and schematics in order to ensure integrity of unit instrument and process control technologies.
- Complete assigned work within agreed upon schedule and budget while maintaining high level of quality.
- Determine where opportunities exist to implement automation by working closely with Product Designers, Project Managers, and Manufacturing teams.
- Determine automation controls complexity based off production forecast and product complexity.
Manufacturing Operations Support
- Develop and implement long range plans for process control improvements.
- Guide and train designated employees on process control methodology to assist process control improvement efforts.
- Develop/modify procedures & training guidelines as needed for automation processes, including training of setup and maintenance personnel.
- Provide project team input on system capabilities and assist with engineering teams with system design decisions.
- Determine controls integration with automation cells timelines using MS Project.
- Interface with mechanical team to control the architecture design and implementation, ensuring the correct support of motion controller configuration, setup, fine tuning, data collection, data analysis and reporting, and equipment safety requirements.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Automation, Electrical or other related engineering discipline.
- 2+ years’ experience in a manufacturing environment with demonstrated ability developing and implementing automation processes and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Instrumentation & Process Control engineering concepts and design including circuits, control systems, as well as a general knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Tooling design experience with CAD, SolidWorks preferred, with understanding of CNC machining or CAM a plus.
- Solid knowledge in the Automation/Electrical Engineering Design field, with extensive technical experience in the design, optimization, and build of automation equipment.
- MS ACCESS Database experience a plus.
- Must have a very broad electrical background, including hands-on experience with PLC’s/HMI, robots, motion controls and associated programming software.
- Demonstrated ability to meet demanding deadlines in a dynamic priority environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team member to accomplish objectives.
- Practical hands-on experience with equipment, machining, and fabrication required.
- Firearm and sports optics experience along with a knowledge of the shooting sports industry strongly preferred.
- Occasional travel required
Able to lift up to 25 pounds
Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which is required in designated areas.
SIG SAUER, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Interested in this position? Apply now and mention that Gunjobs.com sent you.